Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reading: Writers Workshop of Horror

Chapter 16- Brian Keen
Chapter 17-Deborah LeBlanc

Keen's chapter in this book made me laugh because I completely understand what he is talking about on a personal level.  I have wanted to be a writer since I was 8 years old, but I had a really nasty habiti (and still suffer from it a little) of starting projects and not finishing them.  Plus, my other problem was I'm a serious book worm, so part of me always wanted to read rather than write.  Viscious cycle...I know.

But since I've been in college, and am now a very, happy senior, I can honestly say that I have developed positive writings habits and have made time to write, almost every day (if not a least 5 days a week).  Poetry has been my forte for a long time, and after taking Publications Workshop at SHU, I have been submitting work out constantly over the past 9 months.  In fact, I counted my submission list yesterday and totalled 154 submissions! Plus, getting those acceptance letters every now and then really gives me confidence, haha.
But what I'm trying to get at, is that I have noticed at SUBSTANTIAL change in my writing just over this short time period because I have been writing everyday, and surprise, surprise....I'm not getting writer's block as much as I used too. 

Thanks to some wonderful editors and the insight of my professors, I have successfully finished two short stories this semester, and have been published numerous times, all while holding down 17 credits.  Ironically though, I would much rather be writing now then heading to my classes....I guess that means I finally got the drive... :)
---
LeBlanc's chapter also struck some familiarities with me, because people ask me if I use them in my writings all the time.  I guess now I'll divulge a little secret.  There is one person that I constantly use in my pieces...but it might not always been in a physical sense.  Happy digging though folks, because that's all you're getting out of me.  However, my muse is a variety of people, and I write based on my dreams more often than not, so I keep a dream journal and write notes/make sketches whenever I wake up to use as my references. I like to let my subconscious talk to me rather than try to invent something out of the blue.

Also, like her, I have a little folder of clippings and things that made me laugh, or cry, or scream (haha) and I use them when I get stuck, or can't think of where to go next. I use a lot of artwork to give me an extra boost, and since I'm also an art history major, I read a lot of biographys and manifestos...and sometimes by reading different theories or criticisms, I get new ideas that way.  I do really like her idea with developing a first and last name folder -- because a lot of the time, I feel like the name that I have assigned to a certain character just isn't working...so in that sense, I think Deborah is on to something.  I'll have to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

September Madhouse Recap: Mabon, Spooky Reads, and Fall Wellness

Hello friends and fiends– Thanks for reading Stephanie’s Substack! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work. We started S...