Wednesday, April 1, 2020

HWA Poetry Showcase, Vol 7 Meet and Greet


Hello and Good Morning, Folks: 

As most of you know, April is #NationalPoetry Month, and the Horror Writers Association (HWA) is opening submissions for the seventh installment of the HWA Poetry Showcase. The showcase will open on April 1st and run until May 31st and is open for HWA members only. 

Full details to submit can be found here.
Note: I will be editing this year’s anthology alongside judges Gwendolyn Kiste and Carina Bissett. All types of poetry are welcome and encouraged, as well as all types of horror, although poems that elicit themes of child abuse/pedophilia, racism, homophobia, or transphobia will be immediately dismissed.

So let’s meet the judges and have a little chat!

WYTOVICH: When did you first get into poetry? If you remember the first poem/author you read, feel free to include it here.

KISTE: The first poem I remember is definitely my dad reciting “The Raven” to me when I was very young. He actually started reading me Poe while my mom was still pregnant with me. That means there’s never been a time when poems like “The Raven” and “Annabel Lee” weren’t part of my life, so without a doubt, I can trace my love of both poetry and horror directly back to Edgar Allan Poe and my dad.

Other than Poe, another spooky favorite is “The Highwayman” by Alfred Noyes. My dad also recited that one to me a lot, often on car trips. Because he has a huge number of poems memorized, he could make any car ride infinitely more exciting by suddenly breaking out in verse. Since I’ve always loved how my dad knew so much poetry by heart, I memorized my first poem at around seven years old. It was “Ozymandias” by Percy Shelley. The irony is that of course, now I’m a way bigger fan of Percy’s lovely wife, Mary, but for what it’s worth, I still know that poem to this day. It’s a beautiful piece and one worth seeking out if you’ve never read it.  

BISSETT: I remember seeing The Outsiders when it was released. Like Pony Boy, I was struck by the Robert Frost poem “Nothing Gold Can Stay.” I wrote small poems as a young girl, but that movie marked the moment when I realized the true power of poetry. However, it wasn’t until years later that I was introduced to Anne Sexton’s Transformations, and my pursuit of poetry became a more focused goal.

WYTOVICH: What are you hoping to see this year from poetry submitted to the showcase?

KISTE: I’m so excited to see a wide variety of horror subgenres—give me your fairy tale horror, your body horror, your Gothic horror, truly any kind of horror there is! I love it all. I very much hope to receive submissions from a diverse group of authors. Women, authors of color, LGBTQ authors—we always need new voices in horror, so I highly encourage everyone to consider submitting. Even if you’re more of a fiction or nonfiction writer, but you’ve been curious about branching out into horror poetry, please send something our way. That’s a conversation I’ve had with authors in the past—that they feel like they might not “belong” because they aren’t a published poet yet. Truly, though, everyone has to start somewhere, so please don’t self-reject! I would love to read your work!

BISSETT: I’m always interested in poetry that carries multiple layers of meaning. I’m currently immersed in reading work by Ada Limón, Andrea Blythe, and Cate Marvin. I love poems with a fabulist bent, and I’m especially interested in pieces that explore culture and community through a feminist lens.

WYTOVICH: It’s no secret that horror poetry—or poetry with a dark, speculative bent—is certainly getting more popular. How do you interpret the rise in dark poetry over the year?

KISTE: Horror in general has been having such an incredible resurgence lately. Now, for those of us who’ve always loved the genre, we know that horror never really went away, but it is nice to see the genre getting a more mainstream spotlight at the moment. I think the popularity of horror poetry is definitely related to that. I’ve always believed that shorter forms are uniquely suited to horror. Both short fiction and horror poetry have the ability to pack such a powerful punch in a very small space. Poetry can sometimes be the most potent form of all literature, and horror might very well be the most potent genre of all, so put them together, and it’s truly a dynamite combination.

BISSETT: Despite its form, I’ve always thought of poetry as being similar to novel-length fiction. They are both platforms for “big” ideas. Poetry offers a way “to see a World in a Grain of Sand” (William Blake). Our world is a place where shadows have form and substance. I think dark poetry gives readers and writers a way to explore those shadows.

Bio: Gwendolyn Kiste is the Bram Stoker Award-winning author of The Rust Maidens, from Trepidatio Publishing; And Her Smile Will Untether the Universe, from JournalStone; the dark fantasy novella, Pretty Marys All in a Row, from Broken Eye Books; and the occult horror novelette, The Invention of Ghosts, from Nightscape Press. Her short fiction and nonfiction have appeared in Nightmare Magazine, Vastarien, Black Static, Daily Science Fiction, Unnerving, Interzone, and LampLight, among others. Originally from Ohio, she now resides on an abandoned horse farm outside of Pittsburgh with her husband, two cats, and not nearly enough ghosts. Find her online at gwendolynkiste.com

Bio: Carina Bissett is a writer, poet, and educator working primarily in the fields of dark fiction and interstitial art. Her short fiction and poetry have been published in multiple journals and anthologies including Arterial BloomGorgon: Stories of EmergenceHath No FuryMythic Delirium, NonBinary Review, and the HWA Poetry Showcase Vol. V and VI. She teaches online workshops at The Storied Imaginarium, and she is a graduate of the Creative Writing MFA program at Stonecoast. Her work has been nominated for several awards including the Pushcart Prize and the Sundress Publications Best of the Net. Links to her work can be found at http://carinabissett.com.


Bio: Stephanie M. Wytovich is an American poet, novelist, and essayist. Her work has been showcased in numerous venues such as Weird Tales, Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories, Fantastic Tales of Terror, Year's Best Hardcore Horror: Volume 2, The Best Horror of the Year: Volume 8, as well as many others.

Wytovich is the Poetry Editor for Raw Dog Screaming Press, an adjunct at Western Connecticut State University, Southern New Hampshire University, and Point Park University, and a mentor with Crystal Lake Publishing. She is a member of the Science Fiction Poetry Association, an active member of the Horror Writers Association, and a graduate of Seton Hill University’s MFA program for Writing Popular Fiction. Her Bram Stoker Award-winning poetry collection, Brothel, earned a home with Raw Dog Screaming Press alongside Hysteria: A Collection of Madness, Mourning Jewelry, An Exorcism of Angels, Sheet Music to My Acoustic Nightmare, and most recently, The Apocalyptic Mannequin. Her debut novel, The Eighth, is published with Dark Regions Press.

Follow Wytovich on her blog at 
http://stephaniewytovich.blogspot.com/ and on twitter @SWytovich​.


No comments:

Post a Comment

September Madhouse Recap: Mabon, Spooky Reads, and Fall Wellness

Hello friends and fiends– Thanks for reading Stephanie’s Substack! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work. We started S...