Thursday, May 26, 2016

ON MUSIC: YOUR NON-FICTION WYTO GUIDE TO SEX, DRUGS, AND MADNESS.

On my way home from work yesterday, I was listening to my Sex, Drugs, and Madness playlist on Spotify, and it got me thinking about how I have certain songs for different moments, events, and emotions in my life. Some of them are serious, some of them make me chuckle, but it’s all there, song by song. I thought it might be fun to list some of the connections I have with certain songs since music plays such a huge and integral part in my creative process. As most of you know, I make playlists for every project that I work on, so while most people think its unhealthy to live in your memories, for me, it’s necessary to make good art.

So here is your non-fiction WYTO guide to Sex, Drugs, and Madness, plus a few more for good measure.

Sex, Drugs and Madness Playlist:

·         “Little Cream Soda” by The White Stripes: This is my alarm so if this is playing we’re either very fond of each other, living together, or going to be best friends.
·         “Second Chance” by Peter Bjorn and John: The first time I listened to this was in a half-built house at like two in the morning and it was proof that sometimes people do deserve a second chance.
·         “Daydream in Blue” by I Monster: “I fell asleep amid the flowers.”
·         “She Used to Love Me a Lot” by Johnny Cash: I used to love him a lot.
·         “Electronic Sunset” by The Scientists of Modern Music: I’m really happy.
·         “Steady, As She Goes” by The Raconteurs: Life goes on.
·          “Maggie McGill” by The Doors: “People down there, really like to get it on.”
·         “The Difference Between Us” by The Dead Weather: I don’t know the fuck to feel about anything.
·         “Lazaretto” by Jack White: I listened to this entire album on my way home after I spent two days being awake and running around Greensburg playing music, writing poetry, and falling in love with my life again.
·         “Come with Me Now” by KONGOS: If this is on, I’m about to make a bad decision and a great memory and I’m probably going to invite you to come along.
·         “White Rabbit” by Jefferson Airplane: “One pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small.
·         “Jolene” by Dolly Parton: This song isn’t my song, but it’s the song of someone who used to be/is very important to me. When I’m going through a major life change, I listen to this, and it reminds me to take life one day at a time...and to chill out.
·         “Purple Haze” by Jimi Hendrix: I have a weak spot for musicians. And great guitar players.
·         “Alabama Song” by The Doors: “Show me the way to the next whiskey bar…”
·         “Kiss Off” by The Violent Femmes: Give me a pack of cigarettes and an open road. I need time to think. And I’m probably going to wake up in the woods on the hood of my car.
·         “The Passenger” by Iggy Pop: I’m going on a road trip and I don’t have to drive!
·         “I Would Walk 500 Miles” by The Proclaimers: I’m going on a road trip and I have to drive.
·          “Captain Jack” by Billy Joel: Summer 2014
·         “No Regrets” by The Von Bondies: The Year 2014.
·         “Where Is My Mind?” by The Pixies: But seriously guys…
·         “Kids” by MGMT: After two years of healing, this was the song that was playing when I decided to let myself fall in love again. It didn’t work out, but it’s one of my happiest memories.
·         “Spotlight” by Mutemath: I’m about to take a serious chance on something.
·         “Madness” by Muse: I took a serious chance on something and I have no idea what to do now.
·         “Pour Some Sugar On Me” by Def Leppard: I’ve had WAY too much to drink and I’m reliving Coyote Ugly.

Songs that always tap emotions:
·         “In The Cold, Cold Night” by The White Stripes: My favorite song.
·         “She’s Long Gone” by The Black Keys: My leaving song.
·         “Little Black Submarines” by The Black Keys: My I-miss-you song
·         “Falling" by The Civil Wars: My just-kill-me song
·         “Jekyll and Hyde” by Five Finger Death Punch: My I’m-going-to-kill-you song.
·         Wanted Dead or Alive’ by Bon Jovi: My I-forgive-you song.
·         “Think I’m in Love” by Beck: My I'm-falling-in-love song.

Published Works:
·         “Adrenalize” by In This Moment fueled Hysteria: A Collection of Madness and it’s the song I listen to every time I need to get myself pumped up to do anything with writing.
·         I wrote Mourning Jewelry to Jill Tracy’s albums on repeat.
·         An Exorcism of Angels was inspired by “Touch” by Daughter. This is my sad song. If I’m ever listening to Daughter, chances are, it’s been a bad day and you should bring me wine, walk away, and just let me write. Maybe come back with chocolate later.
·         “Click Click Boom” inspired Brothel because it was playing when I got a super-hot kiss from a then-stranger, now close-friend. Hell, I even wrote a poem about it in the collection.
·         The Eighth came out of me hearing “Baptize Me” by The Exies
·         My WIP collection, The Widow Effect, came out of listening to Nick Cave’s “Jubilee Street” on repeat for a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

September Madhouse Recap: Mabon, Spooky Reads, and Fall Wellness

Hello friends and fiends– Thanks for reading Stephanie’s Substack! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work. We started S...