Sunday, June 2, 2013

WYTOVICH WELCOMES DOC HOLLIDAY INTO MADHOUSE


PATIENT: MADDIE HOLLIDAY VON STARK
ILLNESS: ARTIST, WRITER

When did you start creating? Why did you pick the genre/style you work it?

My Life's narrative is the force of motion in any creative project I tinker with. Some are more successful than others. Currently, I just finished my first novel, "The Widow's Game, Another Amazing Adventure of Maddie Holliday Von Stark, which is in second draft status with my very mysterious mentor and his team on the West Coast.  As you know, I am a living breathing ghost of America's fine North. As for my current visual paintings of various shades of "creep," for The Wicked Library, the stories are my portraying inspire to them. Again, I am very much an artist driven my narratives.

Did you go to school for it? If so, where and what did you study?

I have a BFA in Graphic Design from Montana State University. Also, a BA in Graphic Art Education k-12.  And one M.ed Communications Technology [degree] that was finished when I was really sick in the long aftermath of a tumor I had removed from under my brain...I am not sure I retained any of that book learning! I am probably, technically a bit off my marbles.

Where do you get your ideas from? Do you journal, sketch, photograph at all to start?

I replaced my sketchpad with an iPad years ago.



What's a normal designing day like for you? Do you tend to get more down at one time versus another?

I have a day job as a web coder for a very large local business. I live in the world of time and deadlines. Which is frightening when you kill around twenty watches a year on average. This is not including computers, cell phones, and remote controls. I have a pocket watch which has yet to disappoint me.

Favorite artist or designer? Who are you currently following?

I follow and support the local INDY horror writers/artist community. We are badass. I hope one of us makes it big as a badass party akin to Sturgis...and go down in history.

Do you prefer working in one medium over another? If so, which one and why?

A medium is a medium.  You could give me a stick and I could make something out of it.

Do you work in silence or with noise? (TV, movies, music)

MUSIC ON EXTRA LOUD, ALWAYS. And if you don't have any music hand, you can rock out to the beat of your own heart.

Do you have any weird habits when it comes to working on your art?

Nah! My best work is when I am in a fit of insomnia madness. I make a good ghost some nights on the streets of my town. I love chasing the "Soo" line train on my dawn breaking bike rides.

Would you consider yourself a Plotter or a Pantser?

I don't plot or pants. I live. God cares little for your plans and the devil only marvels at the wasted time in details. You just got to live it. Make it. WORK HARD.


What do you think is the hardest aspect of the craft?

I am hoping one day I can live in a house in the woods and do nothing but make art and write books, solve mysteries, drink whiskey, drink beer and sit in front of the fireplace with my dog, Mr. Wu.

Current projects?

I am the resident artist for The Wicked Library.

I am in the final throes of edits on my first book in a trilogy, called "The Widow's Game, Another Amazing Adventure of Maddie Holliday Von Stark.  I will have an actual press release sometime in July.

What do you think people expect from you with your art?

Well, I imagine that it is something they have never seen before?

Advice for aspiring artists or designers?

PUT IN THE WORK

BIO: Maddie Holliday Von Stark
Marshfield, Wisconsin

Someday you will read my story...
I have the ashes of so many experiences on
my shoes.
The reaping and the wailing,
the surrender of troops
the sonic booms!
Hung heads,
and praying hands.

I
find myself shivering
In the shower shine
of hospitals,
and remake rooms.
Wondering when and what will break me?
and what will they make me,
into?

I am a girl on fire.
A blow torch kid.
A phoenix adult,
the "Hey Jupiter" wind.
I am Doc Holliday,
the northern Sun,
the black edge of the thunder
a misfit on the run

No comments:

Post a Comment

September Madhouse Recap: Mabon, Spooky Reads, and Fall Wellness

Hello friends and fiends– Thanks for reading Stephanie’s Substack! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work. We started S...