Tuesday, March 1, 2022

February '22 Madhouse Recap

 February ’22 Madhouse Recap

Hello Friends and Fiends—

February was…a lot. I feel like I’ve been in survival mode for longer than I care to be, but things are starting to finally slow down and work themselves back into a somewhat state of normalcy, so I’m grabbing silver linings when and where I see them.

At the beginning of the month, we had some plumbing issues that spontaneously happened and resulted in a literal rain shower on the second and first floor of our house. Evie and I had to stay with my parents for a bit while entire rooms were ripped out, floors and ceilings removed, and massive fans were installed to try and dry things out. Parts of the house were sectioned off, and for a week or so, it looked like we were on the set of a horror film.

Eventually, we were able to come back home, and now we’re just waiting to schedule renovations and square things up with insurance but trust me when I say things were much more intense than what I’m sharing and I’m just thankful no one got hurt and certain things were able to be saved/restored.

Outside of the house madness, we got to celebrate Evie’s 1 month! I can’t believe she’s six weeks old now. It actually feels a little surreal, to be honest, but it’s been so cool seeing her grow and change in that time. She’s super strong, and such a little wide-eyed brilliant soul. She already has a fierce personality and a love of 1930s monster movies, so needless to say, I’m really enjoying being her mom.  

On the writing/teaching front:

  • I’m getting ready to start teaching my new workshop Writing the Vampire on March 15. If you’re interested in learning more, you can read more about it and/or sign up for it here!
  • The latest issue of Rue Morgue contains an interview with yours truly about the rise of horror poetry where I talk about my experience editing the HWA Poetry Showcase and my upcoming book Writing Poetry in the Dark. There is also a wonderful interview in there from Toni Miller (Black Spot Books) about the upcoming horror anthology Under Her Skin.
  • My short story “A Trail of Feathers, A Trail of Blood” will be published in the upcoming Black Spot Books anthology, Into the Forest: Tales of Baba Yaga. My poem “Dinner with Baba Yaga” will also make an appearance there as well. This is so wonderful and special to me because I have such a kinship and connection with Baba Yaga. Also, fun fact! I have her chicken house tattooed on my thigh.
  • I wrote a lot of poetry this month…and I mean a lot. Like half a collection’s worth of poetry. I’ve been writing for some projects I want to submit to, but I’ve also been writing a lot for my mental health, and the project (if I can call it that?) has been really great for me when it comes to blowing off some steam and channeling stress as I work through some trauma. Honestly, the postpartum journey has been really difficult so far for a lot of reasons, but I’m working through it and writing through it and I’m starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

This month, I read:
  • Ascend Ascend by Janaka Stucky
  • I Love You, Call Me Back: Poems by Sabrina Benaim
  • What Kind of Woman by Kate Baer
  • Comfort Me with Apples by Catherynne M. Valente
  • Cackle by Rachel Harrison

On the media front:

  • Nightmare Alley (2021), Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror (2021), Black Bear (2020), Cherry Falls (2000), Lake Mungo (2008), The Tinder Swindler (2022), Aileen Wuornos: American Boogeywoman (2021), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022), Valentine (2001), Frankenstein (1931), The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), and Scream (2022).
  • Finished The Book of Boba Fett. That season finale! Seriously, that was so much fun and the final episode had me cheering and applauding and just in such a general state of excitement and pure nerd joy. I’m also still watching Pivoting and Single Drunk Female, and because I need a heaping mass of comfort right now, I’ve been watching Big Bang Theory, too; I don’t think I’ve seen the final two or three seasons, so that gives me something to look forward to.

Some podcasts I listened to:

March promises to be a busy month, and in the past, that would have excited me, but honestly, I’m a little nervous if I’m being perfectly honest. These days, I usually consider it a win if I shower and brush my teeth before noon, so starting to introduce more responsibility into my day-to-day life is a little intimidating, but I am really looking forward to it because I think this is the thing I need to start feeling like my old self again. Plus, I’m always happiest when I’m teaching and talking about monsters and haunted things, so hopefully, this will be a good move in the right direction for everyone! Plus, March is also my birthday month (and the perfect excuse to shower myself in daffodils) so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for some sunshine, optimism, and screams that only come from movies and not an upset baby.

            With a little more madness than usual,

Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. Do you to get Work Injury Claims for your family member and other. You can go the free UK Solicitors. I took their service. They are provided just Amazing..!!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Mental health credentialing has been a hot topic in the healthcare industry for the last few years. Insurance companies are looking for ways to decrease their risk by ensuring that they are covering mental health benefits.
    mental health credentialing with insurance companies

    ReplyDelete

September Madhouse Recap: Mabon, Spooky Reads, and Fall Wellness

Hello friends and fiends– Thanks for reading Stephanie’s Substack! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work. We started S...