Saturday, February 16, 2019

Solitary Confinement in Char's Horror Corner

Hello Boys and Ghouls,

It's been a wonderful #WiHM so far, and I've so been enjoying reading everyone's posts and adding a ton of books to my to-read list. If you're looking for some additional blog series to follow, please consider reading Gwendolyn Kiste's roundtable, Sara Tantlinger's WiHM interview series, and Thinking Horror Journal's "What is Horror?" series as well.

Today, I'm looking forward to introducing you all to Charlene Cocrane, more commonly known as 
@Charrlygirl on Twitter and Instagram. Carlene is a fantastic lady, and someone who I was so happy to meet at the Merrimack Valley Halloween Book Festival last year. She is a powerhouse reader, and can be found at  http://charlene.booklikes.com/ or on the Goodreads Horror Aficionados page.

Please consider giving her a follow before we kick things off, and if you're interested in reading past interviews in this series, you can find profiles on: Sadie Colleen Hartmann, Emily Reed, and Lilyn George (Sci-Fi & Scary).


With Dragon's Blood and horns, 
Stephanie M. Wytovich 

What (or who!) got you into horror?

When I was young my family didn’t have much money so one of the things we did was go to drive-in movies. My dad was a big horror movie fan and I guess that’s what got me started. I could watch all the killing, violence and mayhem, no problem-but if a boob appeared on the screen, I had to lie down in the back seat!

Who are your favorite horror writers, both classic and contemporary?

My favorite contemporary horror authors would include, (of course), Stephen King and Peter Straub. Other contemporary authors that really float my boat are: Christopher Buehlman, (Seriously? THE LESSER DEAD is a KILLER book!), Robert McCammon, Sandy Deluca, Joe Hill, John Langan, Joe Lansdale, Yvonne Navarro, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro,  John Boden, Chad Lutzke, and  Mary SanGiovanni to name a few.

As far as classic horror is concerned, I do love me some Shirley Jackson, Edith Wharton, (some of the things that happen to women in her books are certainly horrific, even if she’s not considered a horror writer), Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Edgar Allan Poe, and so many more. One of my all-time favorites, though, is Michael McDowell. The man was a phenomenal writer and we lost him way too early. I wish he was more well-known.

How did you get into reviewing? Was it always something that you wanted to do?

To be honest, I’m not really sure! I started reviewing for fun on Goodreads and I liked the feedback that I was getting. There’s nothing I love more than to have someone say they read a book I recommended, and they loved it. It’s a warm and powerful feeling- I liked it so much that I started reviewing more often.

What venues/websites do you review for and what can someone expect from you when you read their work?

I started reviewing on Goodreads, but have since started my own blog: Char’s Horror Corner. I also have a Facebook page for Char’s Horror Corner as well.  I review on Amazon and also sometimes contribute to : http://www.horrorafterdark.com/

When I read a book that I love, an author can expect me to talk, talk and talk some more about them and their book-I love to spread the word. If it’s a book that isn’t working for me at the time, or if I dislike it, I most likely will not finish it and will quietly move on. Life is too short to read books that I’m not enjoying.

You moderate the Horror Aficionados on Goodreads. How did you get involved in this and what comes along with this role?

Let me clarify that by saying I HELP moderate the HA group on Goodreads. It has nearly 15,000 members now and is the largest group on Goodreads dedicated to horror books. I believe we have a total of 8 moderators now and we have a ball! Our author liaison, Ken McKinley, puts together author involved group reads every month, which are quite popular. And we also have group reads and a group listen every month as well. With hundreds of book discussions, recommendations and buddy reads, if you’re a horror book fan, you cannot find a better place to discuss them than Horror Aficionados.

We got to meet (yay!) at the Merrimack Halloween Book Festival last year. As a horror lover and reader, what was your favorite part of the event, and are there any other horror book festivals that you like to go to on the regular?

It was freaking AWESOME to meet you there this year! My friend Andi and I have attended every year since the festival’s inception. It has enabled us to meet so many authors, (like you), and to meet and make friends in the genre. I don’t really have a favorite part of the event, (though I have enjoyed some of the panels from year to year, and I loved hearing Joe Hill give a reading year before last.) I think the part I enjoy best is just mingling…and of course-buying books and having them signed!
I do not attend any other festivals, but if I could afford it, I would definitely attend NECON. So many of the friends I’ve made at the MERRIMACK VALLEY HALLOWEEN BOOK FESTIVAL also attend NECON. It sounds like such a fun event!

I know I certainly have my own habits when it comes to reading, but I’m curious what yours are? Do you like to sit down with coffee or tea? Do you have a favorite reading spot?

I’m not too picky about where I like to read as long as I’m comfortable and it’s not too noisy. My Kindle really helps with that. I read while in line at the grocery store, at the doctor’s office, in the dentist’s office, while I’m eating lunch, dinner and while snacking!

I guess my favorite place is at home on the couch with coffee, iced green tea or a glass of wine, and with a kitty or two snuggling with me.

What are a few books sitting in your TBR pile?

I have so many, including one or two of yours! Also, INSPECTION by Josh Malerman, S.P. Miskowski’s latest: I WISH I WAS LIKE YOU, THE BOOK OF FLORA by Meg Elison, and THE TRIAL OF LIZZIE BORDEN by Cara Robinson.

What small-press/indie publishers should readers be on the lookout for?

I’m not sure exactly what qualifies as small-press or independent publishers these days, but right now Trepadatio Publishing, (http://trepidatio.com/books/),  has some great authors on their roster, including (S.P. Miskowski and John Claude Smith to name a few.) Flame Tree Press, (https://www.flametreepress.com/),  has impressed me with their line-up of authors lately, featuring John Everson, Jonathan Janz and more. Sinister Grin, (http://sinistergrinpress.com/), has some great things going on and one of my favorites Omnium Gatherum, (http://www.omniumgatherumedia.com/) has been consistently putting out great stuff the last few years.

What books are you looking forward to reading most this year?

I’m excited about Christopher Golden’s latest: PANDORA ROOM. Also, Thomas Harris, author of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and RED DRAGON has a new one coming out this year. I’m excited for Martha Wells’ MURDERBOT novel later this year, and Don Winslow’s THE BORDER, due out next month. Lastly, Mary SanGiovanni’s most recent: INSIDE THE ASYLUM: A KATHY RYAN NOVEL due out in May.

Whoohoo! It promises to be another great year of reading!

Find/Follow Char at:

Find Horror Aficionados here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/108-horror-aficionados
Char’s Horror Corner is here: http://charlene.booklikes.com/
Char’s Horror Corner on Facebook is here: https://www.facebook.com/CharsHorrorCorner/
Horror After Dark is here: http://www.horrorafterdark.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

September Madhouse Recap: Mabon, Spooky Reads, and Fall Wellness

Hello friends and fiends– Thanks for reading Stephanie’s Substack! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work. We started S...